Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Busy Times

Since the launch of the Aztex in late January times have been busy in the Rawlins household!

The response to our announcement bringing professional soccer to Austin has been phenomenal. We have been deluged with emails of support, offers of help, job applications etc, etc. And I am extremely grateful for all the support we have received.

Aside from answering everyones emails the big jobs on the agenda have been to secure a stadium, hire our coaching team and secure a couple of major sponsors. I will share more on the stadium and sponsorship fronts in the next few days, for today I would like to focus on the coaching team.


When we launched I had a view that we could utilize the Head Coach in 2008 as the Coach of the U23 team and said as much. However, after interviewing candidates and listening to experienced people around me I decided we should modify the plan and appoint BOTH a Head Coach and a dedicated U23 coaching team.

So, on Thursday of this week we will announce the first ever Austin Aztex Head Coach. I am over the moon about his appointment, I think it will be obvious that we have attracted a very well qualified and talented guy to lead us on the field. His experience and contacts will be invaluable to us, as will his infectious enthusiasm for the game. He has great eye for spotting talent and for developing young players.

His first and major task in '08 will be to scout and recruit the players we need for our '09 roster. Freeing him up to do that is one of the primary reasons we have also appointed a dedicated U23 coaching team. The U23 Coach has years of experience locally and has had a hand in developing most of the talented young players that have graduated from our City over the past ten years. We expect to announce the U23 Coach and his support team early next week.

I believe both announcements will send a message both nationally and locally that the Aztex have arrived and that we mean business!! I hope you will be as excited as I am about their appointments and join me in welcoming them to the Aztex team.

Phil

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Mr. Rawlins. I'm sure I speak for everyone down here in San Antonio when I say that I'm quite excited to see what south Texas can do for professional soccer. I'll be eagerly awaiting the announcements!

-Keith

Unknown said...

I remember Adrian very well from his playing days with Everton. What a great player he was.

Good luck guys. These are exciting times for us soccer lovers in Austin and the surrounding areas.

Jimbo

ERic said...

Too cool for words. I'm really getting excited about all this. I appreciate your starting this, and I'm looking forward to reading this regularly.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'm glad to see two separate coaches; I think it was the right decision. Eager to see where the team are playing. Keep us updated. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

you are my hero!!!!!

robloc said...

All the very best Phil. Excellent choice in Inchy. Maybe you can loan a player or two, for when the mighty mighty potters reach the promised land. I recall when Stoke were great & they are becoming great again & would like to thank you Phil for your part in that. Once again, good luck for the future & i will be dropping by on a regular basis, to check you out. Dust ear fill, at leeing on any fray transport toe Austeen from Manchester? raturn of coase. Be loyal, be proud, be stoke.

Anonymous said...

Yee Haa!! Delilah,

Well done Phill, youre a trooper

HONGKONG STOKIE!!!