Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Notes from the Coach

Well… it has been 9 months, 1 week, and 5 days since it was announced that I agreed to become the first-ever head coach of the Austin Aztex. What have I been doing since I arrived in the States, you might ask? Well, I have traveled the length and breadth of your beautiful country—north to south, east to west. “I’ve been everywhere, man.” I have watched youth football, college football, pro football, playoffs, showcases, combines, all in the pursuit of players to try and make our first season in pro football a great success.

As you are probably aware, last week we signed Kieron Bernard, making him our second signing after goalkeeper Miguel Gallardo. Two down, 25 to go! I can assure you all, Phil and I are extremely busy talking and negotiating with agents, college coaches and players to fill our roster with quality and motivated players.

With the USL and MLS seasons now done, it seems quite strange that we are just starting to get down to what I call “proper management,” signing players, organizing tryouts, travel arrangements, hotels, training ground equipment etc. You name it, we’re doing it! As you can see, we are extremely busy here but I could not be happier. This is what I do as a “proper job.” Last week we finally answered the question I have been asked most since I arrived, “Where are you going to play?” The answer is Nelson Field. We tried for House Park but unfortunately the locker rooms are being rebuilt and will not be ready until our 2009 season is well under way.

Adrian Heath

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Question. How many players do you plan on picking up from open tryouts?