Thursday, January 8, 2009

Let the signings begin...

With the waist line finally recovering from my first Christmas and New Year in Texas it was back to work with a bang. The arrival of 20 players from all over the country trying to convince us that they were worth a contract for our first ever season here in Austin. Professional players, college players, some of last season’s PDL squad ensured that we had a really competitive and worthwhile weekend.

I will be leaving for California this weekend for more try outs and then on to Ft Lauderdale for the MLS combine , finishing off in St Louis for the MLS draft. I have to say I am really looking forward to the draft, being an American sports fan living in England this is something that I’ve heard a lot about and now I can see for myself what all the fuss is about. I will have my own list of players that I have watched carefully over the last year, so it will be interesting to see if they go high, or at all in the draft.

Last, but, by no means least, I can’t tell you how pleased I am that we have finally got our man in signing Gifton Noel-Williams. I have watched him grow from a young boy at Watford to an experienced professional player. If you look at the clubs he’s played for in England and Spain he will clearly be a huge asset to us in the upcoming season. I hope by the time next I write for you he will be the first of many.

Cheers

Adrian Heath



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done Phil and Adrian!

May we be the first (through the blog at least) to welcome Gifton Noel-Williams to our great state and amazing city. We're glad you're here, Gifton. As Aztex fans we look forward to your leadership and power up front and guidance to the younger players when needed. We hope y'all slip on your boots and stay a spell.

All the best,

Gail Cutter and Craig Hutcheson