Thursday, March 4, 2010

Football, soccer y mas futbol......

Hola everyone!! This week has been all about soccer; the Aztex officially began their training camp this past Monday- luckily I was there when the coaches, office staff and the president were introduced and let me say that it feels pretty nice to be part of the only professional team in Austin. We are all extremely positive about the upcoming season and firmly believe our 2nd season as a professional team is going to have the Aztex accomplish many great things on and off the field.

And then Tuesday came and so did the “friendly” soccer matches all over the world began. Brazil, England, Argentina, Mexico, Spain- I would say every team participating in this summer’s World Cup- saw action either Tuesday or Wednesday. Brazil and Spain continued their dominance and performed at a great level against Ireland and France respectively. But to be honest I only watched the Mexico vs New Zealand game… I know, I know, watching New Zealand is nothing like watching a Mexico vs Spain game but at least we were able to play a game against a team not part of CONCACAF and the end result left the fans happy, even I was happy. Not only for the result but because of the way Mexico played in the first 20 minutes of the second half. Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez scored once again for Mexico; if his level of play continues to be the same, I’m sure his name is going to appear in the final roster for the world cup.

The player that left me with some doubts over his possible participation in a 3rd World Cup is Cuauhtemoc Blanco. Blanco is by far my favorite Mexican player of the last decade; he is smart, has temper, good touch on the ball, and is definitely a good motivator. The level shown by Blanco is not the best I’ve seen from him- at times he seemed lost, slow and, yeah, old… “Cuauh” was our rescuer when we were in fourth place in the qualifying for the World Cup last year; he had even retired from the National team because of his lack of playing time with the previous coach. Then he came back from retirement and with his character, passion and talent gave Mexico hope and thank goodness, we’re now getting ready for the inaugural game against the host nation.

I was watching the game with some friends and after “Chicharito’s” goal she said: “Blanco needs to retire from playing. He is getting old and slow….” At that time I got a little upset and said something like “Blanco is smart, creative and we need him in ‘El Tri’… Deep down I know she is somehow right; the speed that young players like Gio Dos Santos, Carlos Vela, Andres Guardado and now “Chicharito” Hernandez give Mexico make seem Blanco slow and even lost in the pitch….

With a little under 100 days for the inauguration of the World Cup I just hope “my favorite” Mexican player gets a chance to participate in his third world cup; we know he has talent, but would that be enough to be part of the final roster??

Yoanna

3 comments:

Manguito said...

I agree with your intelligent friend, Blanco needs to retire ;) but I would also agree that he is one great soccer player. This past game he didn’t make any smart plays; he managed to lose all the balls against NZ the few times he had possession of the ball. In my opinion, Blanco is a player who loves to show off, he knows he’s a good player but he’s not smart about it and in looks like a total dummy… I wouldn’t be surprised if Blanco doesn’t make the list, I think the second half time of the game said it all!

I enjoyed your Blog, looking forward to the next one!

Anonymous said...

Of course Chicharito scored- es CHIVA!!!! ARRIBA LAS CHIVAS

Anonymous said...

All I know is Les Bleus and La Bafana Bafana are getting out of mexicos group...Blanco is legit, but he has turned into the really old guy in mens league who use to be good but basically can only sit in the box and hope to get the ball to score, blanco is not nearly as good as Ronaldo(Brasil) and we saw what happen to his world cup in 06