Tuesday, April 27, 2010

From Intern to Sales!

Hello to all!

I used to be known as “Kristin the Intern,” but now you will probably just know me as “That Blonde Girl in Sales.” I began an internship with the Austin Aztex in January to finish up my degree from Texas A&M University, starting out in Operations but recently making the move to Tickets. We certainly have a special thing here in Austin with the Aztex, and I’m just proud to have the chance to be a part of it. The Rawlins family has been incredibly gracious to me, and I suppose the guys and gals in the front office aren’t too bad either .

The army of interns includes myself, Joe Levy from the University of Texas, Jordenne Parker from the University of Texas, and Phil Legault (or Little Phil as he was once dubbed) from Texas State University. Phil Rawlins’ son John also deserves some credit; he’s been a huge help while he stays here on “holiday.” Each of us has our own set of responsibilities here in the office, and I appreciate that no one is afraid to give us a project to make our own. And you know, I haven’t had to staple nearly as many stacks of papers as I thought I would!

So what have I learned in this internship? Well let’s see. I learned not to wear my Manchester United scarf around the office. I learned that the office shares a deep love of Krispy Kreme donuts. I learned that Coach Heath’s accent doesn’t sound like any English I’ve ever heard. I learned that a few pranks around the office never hurt anyone. I have learned that Chick-Fil-A has the best lemonade I’ve ever tasted. I’ve learned that transferring a call to someone’s voicemail is trickier than you might think. I’ve learned that bad words just sound funny when said with an English accent. I learned that a genuine smile and a nice word make a difference. I’ve learned that a small polo shirt in Soccer World is really an extra extra small in the Real World. I’ve learned that a little patience can go a long way in the hot sun or the freezing rain. I’ve learned that an Aztex Game Day is not just 90 minutes. And I’ve learned that playing baseball with a mini soccer ball is a nice way to break up a stressful Friday.

All in all, I think I’ve learned what I needed to.

As a last note, I’d like to remind everyone to come out on Wednesday for the game against the Haitian National Team. I cannot even tell you how proud I am to be a part of an event that gives the donations directly into the hands of the people that need it most. I want House Park to be full of proud Texans that can show these young men that America hasn’t forgotten what they have been through. These young men have played both in Dallas and in San Antonio, and I want to blow them away with the generosity they find here in Austin!

See you Wednesday!

Cheers,

Kristin

No comments: